This yummy pan fried chicken dish with garlic and parsley adapted from yumsugar.com makes a complete meal when you pair it with some vegetables. I paired this with two sides – green peas mash and sesame cabbage. Finger licking good!
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30-40 mins
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
for the green peas mash
- 200g frozen green peas 1/2 Tbsp butter 1 tsp fresh thyme 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp lemon juice
for the cabbage with sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted / dry roasted 1/4 of a cabbage, shredded 1 tsp sesame oil 1 tsp of fish sauce
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over a medium flame. Add the oil, butter and crushed garlic. When the butter is foaming, drop in the drumsticks, and fry until lightly browned all over.
- Cover the frying pan and leave the drumsticks to fry gently for around 20 minutes, turning regularly. Add the garlic, parsley and lemon juice and stir to coat the drumsticks evenly. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and leave the flavours to infuse for a few minutes before serving.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, boil a pot of water. Add peas to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove peas from pot and add in the shredded cabbage. Whist the cabbage is cooking, add the butter, thyme, salt and lemon juice to the peas, mixed with a 1 tbsp of hot water. Mash the mixture.
- Let the cabbage cook for around 7 minutes and drain the water. Add sesame oil, fish sauce, sesame seeds and toss.
- Create a bed of mashed peas and cabbage and serve the drumsticks on top of the vegetables.
a. Use a pair of thongs to help you in the cooking of the chicken to avoid the splatter of oil. Thongs are something you definitely should have in the kitchen.
b. Blot away excess moisture/water from the chicken before seasoning it. This minimises the splatter when the chicken first hits the pan.
c. You can easily replace the herbs in this recipe if parsley or thyme are not available or not to your taste.