I recently did my annual health check-up and found out that my LDL cholesterol (the bad one) has been rising since 2011, to the “borderline high” level that it is today.
I’m really not sure why. I’ve been eating and cooking healthily, albeit the occasional seafood, sweets, egg yolks and butter…etc. It could be the food; it could be genetics. It could be both. Or something else. Anyway, I have put myself on a diet of some sort, to firstly rule out food as the cause. That means…. no red meats, no dairy products (except yogurt), no egg yolks, no seafood (except fish) and major cutback on sugar and simple carbs.
The comforting thing is I actually LOVE vegetables. Especially the green leafy ones. I hoard kale and bakchoy everytime I see them in the supermarket. That’s how much I love veggies.
Just the other day, I bought a beautiful bunch of American Kale (the ones with curly leaves and a tough stem). Not quite sure what to do with them apart from a simple stir-fry, I looked to my cookbook arsenal and came across this beautiful recipe of Kale and Peanut Dressing in the Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook.
It’s simple to prepare and produces such a beautiful and satisfying salad. My new favourite way to cook and eat kale. All hail the kale (and Skinny Bitch)!
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from the Skinny Bitch
(a) 1 large bunch of kale with hard spine removed, chopped
(b) 1 medium carrot, julienned
(c) 1/3 cup (100g) unsweetened crunchy peanut butter
(d) 1/4 cup (60ml) water
(e) 2 tbsp light soy sauce
(f) 2 tbsp rice vinegar
(g) Red pepper flakes, for garnish
(h) Toasted white sesame seeds, for garnish
- Fill a steamer basket with the kale and carrot and steam over boiling water in a medium saucepan for about 5 minutes. An alternative way to set up the steamer is this –> place a metal pot stand in a medium or large saucepan and fill with water up to the pot stand height. Place the vegetables in a shallow bowl and place it on top of the pot stand once the water starts boiling. Cover with pot lid and steam for 5 minutes.
- Once vegetables are cooked and softened, remove from the pot and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients (c) to (f).
- Toss the vegetables with the dressing until well combined.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
Be prepared to become a kale-convert. ;)